Surf Instructor Course MoroccoBook Now
Discover why Morocco is fast becoming this season’s hottest surf destination. A cool eclectic blend of culture and world-class waves make the Xtreme Gap surf instructor camp in Morocco the ideal bolthole to spend a 12 weeks training to become a surf instructor with the best of them.
Morocco surf camp highlights include:
- Surf everyday for 12 weeks and become a fully qualified surf instructor by the end of it
- Accommodation, food, assessments, equipment rental is all included hassle free!
- Living in a surf camp about 2 metres from the waves with a constant turn over of guests of all nationalities and backgrounds
- Based in one of Morocco’s top surfing destinations
- Help the community and have an unforgettable 3 months
- Hanging 10 on some the best beach breaks in Africa
- Riding camels and riding waves with guaranteed blue skies and good surf
- Open to all levels
Morocco surf instructor course details
Once the exclusive territory of Berber fishermen, wandering hippies and seasoned wave riders spying the next rare break, thanks to some determined local surfers with a passion for sharing the swell with everyone, the Moroccan south coast is fast becoming a haven for anyone looking to conquer some waves while exploring the mosaic of desert, mountain, beach and bustle that this country , which is the gateway to the African continent – offers.
Shrouded by the mountains that stretch deep into Morocco´s heart, perched perfectly on the warm swell of the West African Atlantic, the fishing town of Taghazout has become home to the Xtreme Gap surf instructor camp. Devoted riders themselves, these guys are passionate about everything surf and dedicated ambassadors of the waves.
The surf instructor course packages have been developed to maximise riding time and surfer development, while the opportunity to participate in a wholly immersive experience, with salt-spray waves in the day and spiced up tagine at night, is what´s given these guys their great local reputation.
About the surf Academy
We run the ASI (Academy of Surfing Instructors) level 1 course in conjunction with the SLS (Surf Lifesavers Qualification). The ASI is the worlds leading surfing accreditation and training organisation. It is a globally recognised qualification which can lead to real paid jobs as a surf instructor all over the world. At the Xtreme Gap surf instructor course we put both qualifications together in a nice hassle free course!
We have an all local team of chefs and boy can they cook! All your food is included in the price of the course to make it completely hassle free. Breakfast is served at our beach front cafe over looking the waves, an absolutely perfect way to start a days surfing.
Depending on the waves…
Lunch is usually served at the beach as sandwiches, rice, salad, BBQ etc.
In the afternoon
Dinners are served on our beautiful roof top terrace overlooking Taghazout at sunset. Big hearty meals for surfers is on the menu with a mix of traditional Berber cuisine such as couscous and Tajines on some nights, and big BBQ´s of fish, kebabs and homemade burgers on other nights.
- 8:00-9:00: Breakfast in our beach front cafe. Consisting of Croissants, coffee, tea, cereals, fruit, bread, spreads, eggs, yoghurt, fruit juice
- 9:00 – leave for the surf
- 9:30 – 11:30 – surf lessons.
- 12:00 – lunch. consisting of sandwiches, fruit, snacks, drinks
- 13:00 – 17:00. More surfing! Also in the afternoons there will be the community projects
- 17:00 – 19:30. Chill time. Explore the town, chill with the other surf campers, get a sunset surf in, do some yoga etc
- 19:30: Dinner and relax!
The instructor course is heavily focused on safety in the water. Safety is of paramount importance when teaching someone to learn to surf and the ASI’s safety in the water is internationally known as one of the best! During the course you will learn how to spot rips and currents, discuss the nature of dynamic risk assessments and learn beach lifeguard techniques.
Reasonable levels of fitness are required. We ask that you can swim 25 metres before you start the course, but over the 12 weeks your fitness will improve naturally so don’t worry if you’re a bit out of shape!
So, if you or the surf is ever feeling flat, just quiz one of the team, and we´ll point you in the right direction for any activity that takes your fancy. Whether you want to sustain the adrenaline of the waves dune biking in nearby Massa game park, get traditional with a camel ride, raise some sand galloping your way across Taghazout´s surrounding beaches, or soothe those out-surfed muscles with a local Moroccan argan oil massage, we´ve got it all!
There´s also the opportunity to unwind with top quality yoga instructors, who take classes for as low as £12 in local currency in some of the most panoramic spots in the area. You can stretch those aches and pains out, while the sea spray rises from Anchor point below and the Moroccan sun drops behind the horizon.
Finally, if you just want to chill, drop into the Hash Point Cafe where you can watch the Atlantic waves break over the rocks with a fragrant Tagine, some freshly caught fish, or if you´re feeling less adventurous one of the Cafe´s famous bacon double cheeseburgers. (There´s also a wealth of surf gear available for rent in the Cafe, and the manager Rachid is always happy to talk surf, food and local culture).
- For the first 4 weeks a local teacher will come to the camp twice a week to teach everyone basic Arabic. By the end of the 4 weeks, we hope that all the everyone will be armed with enough knowledge of the language that you can then use your phrase book to chat to the guys at the camp and in town.Over 80% of our staff are Moroccan, and they absolutely love it when tourists speak their local language with them. After the 4th week, official Arabic lessons stop (as we´ll be really focusing on the surfing!) but if anyone really wants to continue, we can arrange weekly classes for you.
- ´Aftas Association´ was co-founded by our partner in Morocco a few years back to help out the local schools with books and classroom equipment. During your 12 weeks in Taghazout you´ll work with ´Aftas´ to teach English at the ´Taghazout Ecole Superiere´ to children of the age ranges 11-16. To start with you´ll be one of the teaching assistants until you have the confidence to take your own class. Each week you´ll spend the afternoon at the school helping the local children study towards their baccalaureate in English!
- Live with a local berber family: The Berbers are the indigenous people of North Africa. A very friendly group, always willing to accommodate and welcome you into their homes, you´ll spend a weekend in the hills with one of the families that we have grown very fond of and close to over the years. See how a traditional household is run, cook traditional berber food, help out on the farm and experience the simple life for just a weekend (longer if you´d like of course!)
During those rare occasions when Poseidon and Neptune don´t smile upon us and the waves cease to exist we are not left twiddling our thumbs and practicing our Eskimo rolls. We can take you off to Immouzer or as the locals call it – Paradise Valley. There is only one road in the village. The friendly inhabitants and the simple houses make it clear you are well off the beaten track. Chill out in tranquility and seclusion of the waterfalls. Take a plunge in the rock pools, or trek through the forests something of a rarity in Morocco.
If you need a break from the physical demands of the surf, relax and treat yourself to a four handed massage at the local hammam! Want to get a few gifts for back home? We´ll take you to the Agadir Souks or if you want to see the local countryside a little more jump on a camel. Why not go for a horse ride along the beach at full gallop! We organise quad biking excursions through the dunes of the Massa game park for the petrolheads out there as well. When you arrive at the surf camp, just ask the manager for information on all of these options and we will set you on your way for your action packed surf holiday.
How about a yoga session after a long day’s surf? Our professional instructors takes sessions at the luxury apartment complex overlooking Killer Point. The gardens have views that overlook both Anchor Point and Killer Point and the sunset sessions provide the perfect way to stretch down those aching muscles. All payments for Yoga lessons are made locally to your yoga instructor for the day. Normally the lessons start at roughly £12 in the local currency and to book in just ask the surf camp manager, it could not be easier!
Living at a surf camp:
The surf camp is one of the nicest and most sociable surf camps in the whole European and North African area. The camp itself is situated just 2 metres from the water´s edge (in big swell and high tides you have to time your exit so you don´t get wet!) and we have a beautiful roof terrace that over looks the whole of Taghazout!
At the surf camp you really will live and sleep by the waves. The camp duck-dives the swell all night; sitting literally on the shoreline, you will never be too far from the action, and whether you´re dusting off a tagine on our dinner-time roof terrace or chilling out with some surf vid action in our lounge, we guarantee that reassuring sound of a crashing wave will never be too far away.
Your accommodation will be shared, in apartments close to the Xtreme Gap camp, nestled in the square roofed, sun baked buildings of Taghazout, just a stone´s throw from some of Morocco´s greatest breaks.
Trip Frequently Asked Questions
Let us know in advance an estimated arrival time and we´ll be ready to check you in. If you arrive early it´s no trouble, you can surf your way through the day or hang out in our cafe while we prepare your room, which should be ready by the afternoon. We also offer a taxi service which is a good idea for late arrivals, and can save you a trek through Taghazout´s labyrinthine streets at night.
|12 (Week)||Dorm||GBP 4500||Book Now|
|12 (Week)||Dorm||GBP 4500 GBP 4365 (Early Bird)|
Book today with a deposit and travel after 09 - Aug - 2018 to lock in the early bird price. "Hurry only limited early bird spots available !"
Terms: £200 GBP deposit required on booking. Full payment 12 weeks prior to trip start.
- Pre departure information
- All accommodation for 12 weeks
- All meals Food for 12 weeks
- All equipment rental, surfing tuition and surf guiding for 12 weeks
- 4 weeks of Arabic lessons
- ASI Level 1 instructor course
- SLS lifeguard course
- Return airport transfers to Agadir airport
- Trips to Marrakesh, Essaouira, Immousne, Tifnit
- Job search assistance on completion
- Travel insurance
Sept 9th- Dec 2nd 2017